Reading is generally referred to as the act of comprehending texts based on a language that conveys words or meanings. Reading also refers to the process of comprehension, whether by human, animal, or machine. For example, a computer can read a disc or a human can “read” another human’s emotions. However, the most standard and recognized use for the term reading refers to the recognition and comprehension of texts. Literature
Reading is not only essential to every day modern life across the globe, but it is also traditionally regarded as a hobby. People read many forms of literature including newspapers, encyclopedias, informational books, novels, academic journals…etc. Reading as a past time most commonly refers to reading fictional literature for pleasure. Fictional literature generally refers to stories that have been invented in some part or in totality. Fictional literature encompasses novels, essays, children’s stories, plays, and many other formats. Popular Genres of Fictional Literature
Over the course of centuries, literature has evolved and developed to include many categories and genres of fictional literature.
Revised May 27th, 2016
Submit a Website
- Fantasy: literature categorized as fantasy typically includes such things as mythical creatures, other worldly settings, and magic.
- Romance: Romance literature generally revolves around the drama of love and relationships.
- Horror: Horror novels generally include bloody murder scenes, demonic entities, and threatening and violent plots.
- Adventure: These novels fall under multiple categories in addition to their own. They usually involve exploration, quests, and complicated journeys.
- Teen: Teen fiction often refers to novels whose plots are centered on teen-related concerns like growing up, friendships, and high school.
- Historical: Historical fiction consists of fictional stories centered on historical truths. They may utilize real names, places, and events in history with filled-in fictional story lines invented by the authors.
- Sci-Fi: Sci-Fi fiction is based on science fiction story lines, which traditionally include such themes as aliens, time travel, and space.